March 15th, 2013

Rage Playlist

As we all know, I’m pretty cheerful (the nice thing about having a blog called Rose-coloured is there’s little doubt in even the newest reader about things like this). But like everyone, I become irate occasionally, and like most 21st people, I like to soundtrack my emotions.

I’ve been realizing my rage playlist is a little lacking, so I thought I’d share it and see if you guys might be able to help me expand it…

Here’s what I’ve got so far–some new, some old:

“Dull Tool” by Fiona Apple

“Destroyer” by The Stills

“Radio Radio” by Elvis Costello

“Bloody Motherfucking Asshole” by Martha Wainwright (the yoghurt ad that I saw before it today was spectacularly inappropriate to immediately precede: “Poetry has no place for a heart that’s a whore.”)

“Desolation Row” by My Chemical Romance (for the purposes of this list, this cover is better than the original by Bob Dylan)

“I Don’t Know Who You Are” by Garfunkel and Oates

“Positively 4th Street” by Bob Dylan (because obviously there had to be some Dylan here–such an angry dude! Also, note interesting parallels/differences to previous song!)

“Silent All These Years” by Tori Amos

6 Responses to “Rage Playlist”

• Jeff Bursey says:

A few tunes to add to your list:

“Nothing To Prove” by Jill Sobule;
    most songs by The Clash and The Sex Pistols
    “I’m Not Angry” by Elvis Costello;
    “Guerilla Radio” by Rage Against The Machine

• Rebecca says:

These are so awesome, Jeff–thanks so much for sharing! I especially enjoyed the first one!!

• Jarret Aubry says:

The tippity-top of any rage music list must be Van Halen’s “Humans Being”.

Nickelback’s “Side Of A Bullet” should be on there as well.

Maybe a little heavier than the rest of your songs, but they’re pretty angry. ;)

• Ben says:

Good idea!

Bad Habit – Offspring
    El Scorcho – Weezer
    Mariner’s Revenge Song – The Decemberists
    Bullet to the Head – Rage Against the Machine #Doi
    You Oughta Know – Alanis Morissette
    Iron Man – Black Sabbath
    Rape Me – Nirvana
    We’re Not Gonna Take It – Twisted Sister

• Emily Dockrill Jones says:

Killing in the Name of – Rage Against the Machine

Platypus (I Hate You) – Green Day (hard to understand the lyrics, which are angry, but the music’s nice and thrashy, too)

Break Stuff – Limp Bizkit (I’m not a big fan of these guys, but some days this song says it all)

• Rebecca says:

Damn, I had no idea you guys were so ragey. Thanks for sharing these–I’ll put up a MUCH more robust playlist in a few days.