June 2nd, 2010

Gender Observations on a Hot Walk

Well, today largely sucked, but at least it had a theme–everything seemed to have something to do with gender and gender roles. I have decided not to post about the several men I overheard being jerks to women today, because that is not the tone we should have around here. I will instead share with you the shocking fact that a man in a pickup truck whistled at me today and I was wearing a skort. In general, I don’t think whistling is a great form of communication, but three cheers for skort acceptance. Also, what do you make of this:

I ate lunch alone at a fast food restaurant (don’t cry for me–it was Moe’s). It was late and there were only six of us in the place, all eating alone. The three women were sitting at booths and reading (the other two had newspapers; I had The Invention of Morel, though I was still on the intro). The men were sitting at tables, eating and staring into space. What can this mean???

6 Responses to “Gender Observations on a Hot Walk”

• Kerry Clare says:

You are the funniest person ever.

• Kerry Clare says:

Even funnier than Amy Jones.

• Andrew Hood says:

If you’re reading Bioy Casares do you know about his joint collection with Borges, “Six Problems for Don Isidro Parodi?” If not, it’s really worth a look. Hella-good detective yarns.

• Rebecca says:

Thanks for the compliment, Kerry! But I seriously believe in the skort!

Andrew, no, I didn’t know about that collection–thanks for the tip!

• Dain says:

Those men may have been “staring into space”, but I think one should look deeper. There is a very likely possibility that they were merely thinking. I don’t know if you were being insulting to the men, but they may or may not have been having a hard day or busy lives, and were taking to time to think while eating because it’s a perfect time to do just that. Many men are thinkers. Not that women aren’t, but many men can just sit and contemplate. What better time to do that than when eating? Better to do pondering while eating then while working where one should be focusing on work.

• Rebecca says:

What you say makes sense–I just wondered why there was such a gendered split on the thinking vs. reading occupations. But it’s too small a sample to draw any conclusions, I do realize that!!